Monday 13 November 2017

Announcing Your Pregnancy

It was something I never thought twice about before falling pregnant... how I would tell my family, friends and everyone else in my life. My preciously naive fantasies had always had me from finding out I was pregnant in a rush of joyous bliss, to the big 'event' of labour (ouch), to snuggling my own little bundle of joy and beyond. The little details in between would fly by and I wouldn't have to think twice about it. 

Little did I realise just how big a deal telling people would be to me until it came to actually doing it. Telling my friends and family was the easy part. After a few whirlwind days of knowing with my partner, just me and him, our own little secret, I blurted it out to my mum over a cup of tea. My mum jumped up with excitement and instantly phoned my sister who we told over loudspeaker, she then called through my dad and announced it for me - I guess my mum unwittingly took the burden of that one! 

I wanted to tell the rest of the people in my life in one swell swoop, but wasn't sure how. I started fantasising of many creative ways to announce my pregnancy... up until now it had been my own little secret. Mine, Michael's and my family's. 

In a rush of hormones and an over thinking mind, I started to get anxious about it... should I even announce it? Will people care? Will people think I'm over the top, or just plain boring? 

I had my scan a few weeks later and as soon as I knew everything was fine with the baby, nothing else mattered. All those initial feelings of anxiety melted away when I saw my little jumping bean for the first time on screen. I couldn't wait to tell the world and as soon as I was home, I settled on posting a photo of my scan to social media and announcing "Hi World!". It worked perfectly as one of my scan pictures had my little jumping bean waving at us. 


Baby news is always good news and you'll be excited seeing your friends and family excited. It's ok to be as traditional or creative as you like when announcing your pregnancy... as long as you want to share your news and feel comfortable doing so. Your secret is finally out and there is no more hiding your growing bump. You can let it all out... literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment