Tuesday 9 January 2018

Afternoon Tea at Cup Aberdeen: Review


One of my favourite things ever is afternoon tea with the girls and boy am I lucky that my home town of Aberdeen seems to have no shortage of afternoon tea offerings. They seem to be popping up all over the place and I'm certainly not complaining. No doubt, the 'review' pages of my blog will soon catch up as I aim to try as many different afternoon teas as possible - I'll use any excuse! 

My sister, my mum and I decided on a recent Saturday morning that we had a hankering for some sweet treats and caffeine and we promptly booked a table for three at Cup. The short and sweet name does the trick as my brain regularly triggers for a 'cup' of tea and a cake when I'm in the nearby vicinity and I have to fight my cravings and keep on walking. 

Where: Cup, 9 Little Belmont St, Aberdeen
When: Saturday Afternoon
What: Luxury Afternoon Tea
Cost: £15 per person

The Atmosphere
Cup is a small cafe located on the pretty cobbled side street of Little Belmont in Aberdeen. The theme of this place is my absolute favourite. I was first to arrive from our little party (overly punctual as usual dare you believe) and as I looked around sipping my tea I couldn't help feel a pang of envy that I hadn't thought of this first. The place is decked out all shabby chic, slightly whimsical with a hint of Alice in Wonderland-esque mad hatter tea party. Our table even had a lovely little etching, albeit faded, but this just added to the overall look of the place. 

The Tea
Served in mismatched, but oh so characteristic, china, there is a whole section of the menu dedicated to different choices of tea. From English Breakfast to Caramel Nougat and Black Cherry, there's certainly something for even the most adventurous tea enthusiast to enjoy. 'Love Potion' with its promise of love hearts certainly peaked my interest before I decided on the old faithful English Breakfast. 


The Treats
Three tiers of homemade sweet and delicious goodness. Rocky road cakes, chocolate dipped strawberries, white chocolate and marshmallow tiffin, truffles, scones and cake. A lovely variety and there was more than enough for all three of us. The bottom tier was full of mini sandwich rolls. We asked if what was in the sandwiches were specific, but were advised it varies depending on what they have in stock. We ended up with tuna and cucumber, salami and humous and one or two others. All were lovely may I point out. 



Special shout out to the fruit scone (still warm, squeal!) which I slathered in raspberry jam and cream. Moist, fluffy and oh so yummy! 


There are three options for afternoon tea for those who may not want to go ALL out on the 'Luxury' option. There is also the Baby Cup Afternoon Tea at £8.50 per person an the Chocolate Afternoon Tea at £12.50 per person. The chocolate afternoon tea served with hot chocolate, nutella toasties, truffles etc. etc. sounds like a lovely idea for a mummy/daughter day out. My sister certainly clocked it for future reference for her and her little girl. 

The Service
Although it was a Saturday afternoon and the place was busy, busy, I didn't feel that the service was lacking. We were checked up on regularly (always with a smile) and even offered a bigger table when they realised that we'd be ordering the their biggest offering of 'luxury' afternoon tea. We politely declined as we'd already settled and we got along just fine. 

The Verdict
Cup is a lovely little cafe with a cutesy atmosphere, perfect for a girly catch up with a friend or two. I'm not sure I'd recommend for larger groups as it is a small cafe and I could see how larger groups may feel cramped. 

If you have a coin or two to spare, the luxury afternoon tea is a lovely treat, but for £15 per head I certainly won't be making it a regular occurrence. Next time I'll be trying a tea and a scone on it's own (that's more than enough let me tell you!)

The Atmosphere: 4/5
The Tea: 5/5
The Treats: 4/5
The Service: 4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment