Monday 11 December 2017

Gender Reveal Cake: Boy or Girl?


I admire the patience of mummy's to be who can wait through their whole pregnancy to find out the gender of their baby. I can imagine the ever mounting anticipation through your 40-week mummy-to-be stint and the final reveal when you get to meet your baby face to face for the first time. The moment made even more special when you finally find out if you have a little daughter or a little son. 

I on the other hand, caved to the anticipation as soon as I hit that 16 week mark. I couldn't wait to find out whether my little angel was a boy or a girl. I booked myself into a gender scan as soon as I could and attended with my mum and Michael. I stared at the screen as the sonographer went over and over the baby to check the gender... I remember thinking I could see on the screen what the baby was before he announced it - and I was right! 

I thought to myself, "That's a baby girl... I see a 'burger'". I've been told from older and wiser ladies that you could tell if you were having a girl as she'd display the token 'burger' on your scan photos. Right enough, the sonographer announced that I was having a baby girl. As soon as he said it, I could tell what mum was secretly wanting as she squealed with delight and jumped up and down on her seat. A very excited Grandma-to-be! 

As soon as we got back into the car, we zoomed over to my fabulous sister's house, Jo Scrumptious, where we quickly rustled up a delicious gender reveal cake to announce to the rest of our loved ones the news. Can you tell I can't keep secrets?! 

We baked a lemon sponge cake covered with pink and blue buttercream icing, adorned with a few fondant icing buttons. We dyed the sponge 'pink' as the colour of the sponge once I cut the cake would be the 'reveal'. 


I plan to post the full recipe for the sponge and buttercream icing soon and will share this as soon as it's up! 

I'd love to hear from other mummies on how they chose to reveal their baby's gender. Please feel free to share your own experiences in the comment section below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment